Don’t miss this opportunity to receive incentive payments for improving patient care through EHR technology. The final deadline to begin participation in the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program is December 31, 2016!
The Medicaid Electronic Health Records (EHR) Incentive Programs was developed to encourage eligible professionals and eligible hospitals to adopt, implement, upgrade (AIU), and demonstrate meaningful use of certified EHR technology. In Arizona, the program is administered by the Arizona Medicaid agency, Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS). Under the program:
- Eligible professionals (EPs) are eligible for incentive payments for 6 years and participation years do not have to be consecutive, however:
- the last year to begin participation is 2016
- Incentives will be paid through 2021
- The incentive payments for eligible professionals are higher under the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program (as compared to the Medicare EHR Incentive Program) – up to $63,750 over 6 years
- EPs can receive an incentive payment for adopting, implementing, or upgrading (AIU) certified EHR technology in their first year of participation. In subsequent years, EPs can receive incentive payments for successfully demonstrating meaningful use
- Professionals who qualify for both the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs must choose which program they want to participate in
If you are not already participating and believe you may qualify, here is what you need to do:
- Determine if you are an Eligible Professional (EP) – Professionals that may qualify for the Medicaid Incentive Program include Physicians, Nurse Practitioners, Certified Nurse – Midwife, Dentists, and Physician Assistants who practice in a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) or Rural Health Center (RHC) that is led by a Physician Assistant. Further, Medicaid Eligible Professionals (EPs) must have a minimum of 30% Medicaid patient volume (20% minimum for pediatricians) or practice predominately in a FQHC or RHC and have at least 30% patient volume to needy individuals.
- Adopt-Implement-Upgrade – Adopt certified EHR technology; or Implement certified EHR technology you have already purchased; or Upgrade your current EHR technology to the newly certified version
- Register with CMS – Use the following link to register with CMS: CMS Registration
- Register with ePIP – after registering with CMS, your registration detail will be forwarded to the electronic provider incentive payment system (ePIP) within 48 hours. Use the following link to register with Arizona Medicaid: Arizona ePIP Registration
For more information and helpful guides, please visit the AHCCCS EHR Incentive Program webpage at Arizona Medicaid EHR Incentive Program.
Additionally, to help Arizona Medicaid providers navigate this program, AHCCCS has awarded a contract to Arizona Health-e Connection (AzHeC) to provide limited, no-cost education and assistance to Medicaid providers who are interested and may qualify for the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program. To take advantage of this limited, no-cost education opportunity and to learn more about the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program, please contact Health Current, formerly Arizona Health-e Connection (AzHeC) at (602) 688-7200 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Again, eligible professionals must begin to participate by December 31, 2016. If you are not already participating in an EHR Incentive Program don’t let this opportunity pass you by!